PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is an open-source programming language for creating dynamic sites.
PHP is a module that can be used with the Apache web server and can be installed by downloading the php5 package.
PHP also offers some extensions, including :
- php5-gd : allows you to create and modify images with PHP by using the GD library. GD is especially used by Wordpress, phpBB, ...
- php5-imagick : ImageMagick library (similar to GD)
- php5-curl : allows you to retrieve the content of a page or get the response of an API. APIs are offered by more and more sites including : Twitter, VirusTotal, Disqus, ... On Windows, here is how to enable the curl extension of PHP
- php5-mysql : allows you to connect to a MySQL database server.
- php5-sqlite : allows you to connect to a PostgreSQL database server
- php5-imap : allows to connect to an IMAP server. This extension is used by Roundcube, ...
- php5-imap : allows you to connect to an IMAP server (the accessing protocol for e-mails) from PHP. This extension is particularly used by webmail (eg : Roundcube, SquirrelMail, ...)
- php5-mcrypt : allows you to use encryption algorithms. Mcrypt is used, for example, by phpMyAdmin.